From: Qian Qiao <qian.qiao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel updates
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:36:42
1 On 10/28/05, Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 12:45:49AM +0200, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 19:43:07 +0100 Digby Tarvin <digbyt@×××.org> wrote:
4 > > > The portage system seems pretty effective in keeping the user level
5 > > > code up to date on a gentoo system - but now that I have had my
6 > > > system installed for 6-7 months it has occured to me that my
7 > > > kernel is no longer current, and I havn't found anything in the
8 > > > handbook suggesting how this should be approached.
9 > > >
10 > > > Is there a recommended procedure that someone can point me to?
11 > >
12 > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
13 >
14 > Thanks. Not sure why I didn't stumble across then when searching
15 > the documentation on the web site, but once I eventually got
16 > emerge to install the new kernel, the messages left by emerge
17 > led did lead me to that file:
18 > * If you are upgrading from a previous kernel, you may be interested
19 > * in the following documents:
20 > * - General upgrade guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/kernel-upgrade.xml
21 > * - 2.4 to 2.6 migration guide: http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/migration-to-2.6.xml
22 >
23 > but of course I already had to have an idea on how to upgrade before seeing
24 > that :-/. Thanks to all that offered advice...
25 >
26 > Also, my initial
27 > emerge --update gentoo-sources
28 > came back doing nothing - it just indicated that there were no packages
29 > to update.
30 >
31 > I tried again with just
32 > emerge gentoo-sources
33 > and that went ahead and installed a new kernel source tree in /usr/src.
34 >
35 > So now I just need to reproduce my kernel config and then I am
36 > ready to try going from linux-2.6.10-gentoo-r6 to linux-2.6.12-gentoo-r10.
37 >
38 > I gather one cannot just copy the .config file for this much of a jump,
39 > so I guess the best thing to do is a simultaneous 'make menuconfig' in both
40 > old and new kernel using two different windows so that I can be sure
41 > to copy each of the current settings across.
42
43 make oldconfig will copy all the old configurations, and prompt you
44 for the configurations that don't exist in the old config file.
47 There are 3 kinds of people in the world:
48 Those who can count, and those who can't.
49
50 Money can't buy everything.
51 Sometimes money can't even buy a gun...
54 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list