From: Mark David Dumlao <madumlao@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Removing pulseaudio
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 15:41:15
1 On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 8:05 PM, Yuri K. Shatroff <yks-uno@××××××.ru> wrote:
2 > In the end, I humbly believe it's up to me to judge what effect there is for
3 > me on my computers.
4
5 Yes, that's exactly the point. Scroll up and reread this thread,
6 though, and you'll get the impression that some complainers seem to
7 think that Lennart is breaking into their systems and magickally
8 installing his 175-year old software in them. What's this about 100%
9 of the users being "forced" to have pulseaudio in?
10
11 And don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about here. If
12 somewhere up there we're talking about "enforced" choices we're not
13 talking about gentoo, we're talking about stuff like Fedora or Ubuntu
14 and even "enforced" is a stretch as you could always go with a
15 minimal, alternate, or a forked desktop. And it's pretty obvious why
16 they thought it was sane for pulse to be a default choice.
17
18 Basically there's a bunch of vague criticisms of unnamed systems where
19 "they" force stuff on "all users" for "no good reason". Nevermind that
20 we can actually state what the reasons are. Fingers in the ears.
21 neener neener.
22
23 Well I have a better theory, "they" made choices for "defaults-using
24 users" that "you can totally undo" for "pretty decent reasons" but
25 "some of us" just want to "feel better" about the "choices" we made by
26 "pointing and laughing" at the ones we didn't. Even when we know so
27 "much" about the topic that someone actually has to tell us what a
28 "sound server" is or what its "use cases" are and our "use patterns"
29 involve typing things in a black box so that pretty text scrolls
30 quickly and makes us "feel smart" whereas the use patterns of the
31 average user, uh... "don't".
32
33 It's a sane idea for a desktop distro to include pulse as a -default-.
34 No, seriously, it is. Just, frigging bluetooth headsets. And
35 per-application volume control. Are there other ways to go about it?
36 Yeah. It remains to be seen how any of them are an order of magnitude
37 better than pulse. You don't -like- it? Fine. There's no point in
38 going on on some tirade about how the poor, oppressed 99% of users
39 could have been doing just fine with ALSA just like you have with your
40 more beautiful, hand-crafted system...
41 --
42 This email is: [ ] actionable [ ] fyi [x] social
43 Response needed: [ ] yes [x] up to you [ ] no
44 Time-sensitive: [ ] immediate [ ] soon [x] none