From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Tue, 25 Dec 2012 01:32:34
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 24, 2012 at 4:29 PM, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:04:13 -0600
4 >> Bruce Hill <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Gentoo had mkinitrd once upon a time, but it's now in attic.
7 >>> Somewhere, sometime, for some reason, initramfs (inital ram
8 >>> filesystem) became vogue for the Gentoo camp, rather than initrd
9 >>> (initial ram disk image), and mkinitrd got retired.
10 >> Is there Gentoo documentation for creating initramfs without using
11 >> dracut? I could only find documentation for doing it *with* dracut,
12 >> and that procedure required using genkernel. Surely Gentoo must have
13 >> an initramfs guide for non-genkernel users, but I couldn't find one.
16 > I used this one (I think!!!) 6 months or a year ago. It worked first
17 > time but it was a bit of work getting there:
18 >
19 > http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Initramfs
24 I tried that a while back when this init thingy started. I never got it
25 to boot once, not even a close call. I got blinking keyboard lights and
26 error messages that filled the screen. I worked with that thing for
27 over a week. It is in the same pile as hal. Oooo, let's not even go
28 there. Grrrrrr!
29
30 I eventually went to dracut which *seems* to work. My current solution,
31 don't reboot.
32
33 root@fireball / # uptime
34 19:28:53 up 93 days, 12:38, 9 users, load average: 0.30, 0.31, 0.32
35 root@fireball / #
36
37 That has worked for the last 93 days. If you are worried about
38 something, avoid it. ;-D
39
40 Dale
41
45 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!