From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>, Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How to poweroff the system from user?
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 15:13:42
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sun, Apr 5, 2015 at 3:27 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 >>> On Sat, 04 Apr 2015 14:41:12 +0200, lee wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>>> On Linux now there's the Magic SysRq Key feature for that.
7 >>>> I always can't remember which keys to press with that, so I have it
8 >>>> disabled.
9 >>> BUSIER backwards.
10 >>>
11 >>>> And when the keyboard is unresponsive, it won't work.
12 >>> It usually does. The kernel sees the Magic key events directly, so even
13 >>> if your X server has crashed, it will still respond to Alt-SysReq.
14 >>>
15 >>>
16 >> I used that on a few puters. I don't recall this ever not working. X
17 >> may not see the keyboard but the kernel does. It's a life saver at
18 >> times too. At least you can sync and unmount cleanly.
19 >>
20 > If you're dealing with a kernel panic of some kind (which you
21 > inevitably are when you are doing this sort of thing), all bets are
22 > off. I'll agree that usually the magic sysrq works. However, there
23 > are certainly going to be cases where it doesn't, or at least where
24 > parts of it don't work. In my case the part that usually fails for me
25 > right now is btrfs, so unmounting won't work anyway (though I guess it
26 > will take care of the ext4 backup partition that is only rarely
27 > touched anyway).
31 That is true but it seems to work most of the time for the usual
32 failures. Ask some old timers on this list, hitting reset or having to
33 pull the plug from the wall really gets on my nerve, every single one of
34 them and in a hurry. Dare I think about hal and what a mess it caused
35 for me.
36
37 Dale
38