From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] logging my activity for audits
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2018 18:31:33
1 On September 12, 2018 5:05:21 PM UTC, Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
2 >On 09/12/2018 09:59 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> This piqued my interest and decided to google a little bit. Found
4 >the
5 >> following, which might help:
8 >https://askubuntu.com/questions/93566/how-to-log-all-bash-commands-by-all-users-on-a-server
9 >
10 >I would not want to rely on the PROMPT_COMMAND environment variable.
11 >
12 >1) It's a user setting, which means users should be able to change it.
13 >2) Protecting it (setting it read only) will likely annoy users. (I
14 >know many that have used the PROMPT_COMMAND for their own uses.)
15 >3) It's still possible to start another shell that does not have the
16 >PROMPT_COMMAND set to what you want.
17
18 Mentioned this as well. :)
19 It works if the user wants this to work. From what I understand, the customer of OP wants the record. Which means I would expect OP not to try to get out of it.
20
21 >> Same method is described in:
24 >https://serverfault.com/questions/323270/how-can-i-make-bash-to-log-shell-commands-to-syslog
25 >
26 >Same issues as above.
27 >
28 >> This will help if all you do is working within bash. If you switch to
29 >
30 >> a different shell or run scripts, the logging obviously fails.
31 >
32 >Yep. This is one of the primary problems with relying on anything that
33 >
34 >is traditionally user controllable.
35 >
36 >> Another method might be: https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/6144
37 >
38 >I've never messed with process accounting. Does it actually record the
39 >
40 >details that the OP wants?
41 >
42 >I thought (naively assumed?) that process accounting was more for
43 >tracking computer resource consumption, primarily for billing and / or
44 >rate limiting.
45
46 From what I read, it records user, processname and other statistics. I would assume this would cover more than what OP requested. It also would record script contents.
47 But not sure if it would also record full commandlines and I/O actions.
50 >> This is an older document, but might still be made to work as it uses
51 >
52 >> "process accounting" which is still in the kernel afaik.
53 >
54 >I've seen hints of process accounting in relatively modern kernels.
57 Same here
61 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.