From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] External hard drive and idle activity
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2020 08:48:28
1 Dale,
2
3 "Dale" <rdalek1967@×××××.com>, 06.01.2020, 09:29:
4
5 > Also, when looking for a drive to buy, what should one look at to see if
6 > it is a SMR drive? While it may be OK for my backups, I'd like to avoid
7 > them on the drives inside my rig that are used for the OS or /home. I
8 > dunno, just a gut thing.
9
10 it's not "just a gut thing". SMR drives are not meant for random
11 access writing; they write like a tape and read like a disk.
12
13 A while ago, one of my clients bought one of those things
14 to replace an older failing backup drive. The next night, the
15 backup took hours instead of minutes. No knowing what was inside
16 the box, I did some measurements and discovered that the first
17 few files were written quickly, then things got really slow,
18 with the rsync process waiting (state "D") for the drive to
19 finish.
20
21 tar-based backups went much quicker, though, which matches the
22 expected behaviour of SMR drives; the drive did not need to rewrite
23 many large areas due to many small changes, instead it only had to
24 write one large area due to one large change.
25
26 s.