From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Damaged CD medium
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:54:31
Here's what I recommend. 1) Use ddrescue to read as many data blocks as you can off the CD. http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ ddrescue will retry failing blocks and then skip over them. You can rerun ddrescue to try to fill in missing blocks. dd or cat will generally just stop when it hits the first bad block. I would do something like: a) Run several passes of ddrescue using a few different optical drives. b) Polish the CD. c) Repeat until you stop getting new data off the CD. 2) Use something like photorec to try to scavange any reconizable JPEGs (or other file types as desired) from the data image file you created with ddrescue. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec IIRC, there are ebuilds for ddrescue, photorec, and testdisk. -- Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I like the way ONLY at their mouths move ... They gmail.com look like DYING OYSTERS