From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Damaged CD medium
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2015 17:54:31
1 On 2015-03-13, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Hi All,
3 >
4 > I was given a CD with some pictures, but I am not able to mount it. This is
5 > what dmesg reveals:
6
7 Here's what I recommend.
8
9 1) Use ddrescue to read as many data blocks as you can off the CD.
10
11 http://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/
12
13 ddrescue will retry failing blocks and then skip over them. You
14 can rerun ddrescue to try to fill in missing blocks. dd or cat
15 will generally just stop when it hits the first bad block.
16
17 I would do something like:
18
19 a) Run several passes of ddrescue using a few different optical
20 drives.
21
22 b) Polish the CD.
23
24 c) Repeat until you stop getting new data off the CD.
27 2) Use something like photorec to try to scavange any reconizable
28 JPEGs (or other file types as desired) from the data image file
29 you created with ddrescue.
30
31 http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
32
33 IIRC, there are ebuilds for ddrescue, photorec, and testdisk.
36 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I like the way ONLY
37 at their mouths move ... They
38 gmail.com look like DYING OYSTERS