From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo rsync servers time out
Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 00:22:36
1 On Wednesday 24 December 2008, Eric Martin wrote:
2 > Mick wrote:
3 > > I have noticed this phenomenon which I am not sure I can explain very
4 > > satisfactorily. Just after midnight (GMT) any attempt to resync proves
5 > > futile:
6 > > ==========================================================
7 > > # eix-sync
8 > > * Running emerge --sync
9 > >
10 > >>>> Starting rsync with rsync://88.156.78.16/gentoo-portage...
11 > >>>> rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1286)
12 > >>>> [receiver=3.0.4]
13 >
14 > <snip>
15 >
16 > >>>> Starting retry 1 of 3 with rsync://137.226.34.228/gentoo-portage
17 > >
18 > > Checking server timestamp ...Welcome to rsync.informatik.rwth-aachen.de
19 > > (137.226.34.228).
20 >
21 > <snip>
22 >
23 > > An hour or so later resync'ing happens without any problem. Why is this?
24 >
25 > When it works the second time, is it the same server? rsync.gentoo.org
26 > and rsync.$CONTINENT.gentoo.org are just cnames pointing to servers so
27 > you could be getting different hosts via dns round robin. This is
28 > evidenced by the two different ips in your post.
29
30 I am getting different hosts every time I try of course, but no matter how
31 many times I try immediately after midnight it will always fail in the same
32 manner.
33 --
34 Regards,
35 Mick