From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird slocate behaviour - file ignored?
Date: Fri, 07 Aug 2009 03:25:37
1 On 7 Mar 2009, at 12:42, Stroller wrote:
2 > I was looking for a Knoppix DVD today, and came across any anomaly
3 > whereby locate doesn't show it. It lists the CD iso in the same
4 > directory, but not the DVD right next to it, and both files seem to
5 > be read by the database when I run updatedb manually.
6
7 A big old bump from 6 months ago, could I ask kind members of the list
8 to try running locate to look for a big file to see if they can
9 reproduce this, please?
10
11 I'm seeing on a SECOND machine exactly the same thing - files larger
12 than about 4gb are not showing up in the locate search results:
13
14 $ ls -lh File.big
15 -rw-r--r-- 1 stroller users 5.4G 2009-02-27 10:31 File.big
16 $ sudo updatedb -v > foo
17 Password:
18 $ grep File.big foo
19 /home/stroller/File.big
20 $ locate File.big
21 $
22
23 If you don't have any DVD iso images on your system, you should be
24 create a suitable file with `dd if=/dev/zero of=file.big bs=5M
25 count=1k`. Update the slocate database & take a look for it, if you
26 would be so kind.
27
28 I can't quite believe this and I'm kinda rubbing my eyes here. One
29 machine behaving like this I can shrug it off as a quirk that I should
30 really get around to fixin' sometime. I find it too incredible to
31 imagine that I may have stumbled over some heretofore undiscovered bug
32 in such a popular package.
33
34 Stroller.