From: Sam Bishop <sam@××××××.email>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Open Question: The feasibility of a complete portage binhost
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 12:37:04
1 So I've been thinking crazy thoughts.
2
3 Theoretically it can't be that hard to do a complete package binhost for gentoo.
4
5 To be clear, when i say complete, Im referring to building, all
6 versions of all ebuilds marked stable or unstable on amd64, with every
7 combination of use flags.
8
9 This pretty much boils down to bytes and bytes of storage + compute
10 resources. Both of which are easily available to me. So I began
11 pondering and here I am, thinking to myself "is this really all there
12 is too it"?
13
14 Does it really come down to CPU cycles and repeatedly running through
15 the following commands for each combination of ebuild, version and use
16 flags
17 emerge --emptytree --onlydeps ${name}
18 emerge --emptytree --buildpkgonly --buildpkg