From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ssh connections time out
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:14:35
1 On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 13:26:18 -0600
2 Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Just to add to this, I was using the IP address too and it was very
5 > slow. This was also on a local network. After adding the lines to my
6 > host files, it was fast no matter whether I used the name or the IP
7 > address. I still don't understand why this matters tho.
8 >
9 > Just a thought.
10 >
11 > Dale
12
13 I am guessing your /etc/nsswitch.conf says:
14 hosts: files dns
15
16 in this case, the /etc/hosts file will be consulted before the dns. If
17 you provide an IP address, it will probably want to do a reverse lookup
18 to the name (for .ssh/known-hosts for one); if provided a domain name,
19 it will have to look it up.
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list