From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [Gentoo-User] emerge --sync likely to kill SSD?
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 14:54:18
1 On Sat, Jun 21, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > I found that fstrim can't work on f2fs file systems. I don't know whether
4 > discard works yet.
5
6 Fstrim is to be preferred over discard in general. However, I suspect
7 neither is needed for something like f2fs. Being log-based it doesn't
8 really overwrite data in place. I suspect that it waits until an
9 entire region of the disk is unused and then it TRIMs the whole
10 region.
11
12 However, I haven't actually used it and only know the little I've read
13 about it. That is the principle of a log-based filesystem.
14
15 I'm running btrfs on my SSD root, which is supposed to be decent for
16 flash, but the SMART attributes of my drive aren't well-documented so
17 I couldn't tell you what the erase count is up to.
18
19 Rich