From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd? [ Was: The End Is Near ... ]
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2012 13:58:03
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 19:45:06 -0600
3 > Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> * Finally, and what I think is the most fundamental difference between
6 >> systemd and almost any other init system: The service unit files in
7 >> systemd are *declarative*; you tell the daemon *what* to do, not *how*
8 >> to do it. If the service files are shell scripts (like in
9 >> OpenRC/SysV), everything can spiral out of control really easily. And
10 >> it usually does (again, look at sshd; and that one is actully nicely
11 >> written, there are all kind of monsters out there abusing the power
12 >> that shell gives you).
13 >
14 > I'm having a wet dream right about now :-)
15 >
16 > init has been my pet peeve for years, starting with sysvinit. Why do I
17 > need 9 runlevels all fully configured, when me, my machines, the
18 > company's server, every Linux user in the company and every other use I
19 > have ever personally met, only use 1 of them? Let's not even discuss
20 > the amount of complexity that gets pushed into the init scripts
21 > themselves.
22 >
23 > Here's what I want:
24 >
25 > When the machine starts, I want services X, Y and Z to run. The
26 > software figures out what order they must start in and how the deps
27 > work. Clean, neat, easy.
28 >
29 > Maintenance mode is handled easily with two stages in startup:
30 > early_start and late_start. Maintenance mode is what you have between
31 > them. Again - nice, clean and simple.
35 Well, I am not normal. I, on a regular basis, use single, boot and
36 default runlevels. So there !! lol
37
38 Dale
39
43 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
44 how you interpreted my words!
45
46 Miss the compile output? Hint:
47 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"