From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Do we have to build gcc with fortran now?
Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 05:08:02
1 On 06/24/2011 01:16 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 >> On Wednesday 22 June 2011 17:23:44 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> When I removed the fortran flag it didn't change anything because (I
6 >>> suppose) the KDE profile has included it as a default.
7 >> So it seems. I've just tried "USE=-fortran emerge -upDvN world" and
8 >> the only
9 >> thing that would be remerged because of fortran is gcc. So I'm going
10 >> to put
11 >> -fortran into make.conf and see what breaks.
14 > It will break several things. This is what I just went through. It
15 > appears that if you emerge kde-meta, you have to have a fortran type
16 > compiler. So, you may as well keep what you got if it is working. When I
17 > started going down this road, I thought I could just disable fortran and
18 > have less packages installed. That is not the case. I removed fortran
19 > then had to replace that with even more packages than I had to begin with.
20 >
21 > If it works with fortran turned on, I'd leave it alone. With hindsight,
22 > I should have left well enough alone anyway. It wasn't hurting a thing.
23 > Watch the elog messages. It will tell you at some point to either enable
24 > fortran or emerge some other package that I forget the name of. That one
25 > package pulled several dependencies on my rig. YMMV.
26
27 Well, as I said in another post, I do have -fortan in my make.conf and
28 there are no problems. I do not have programs installed that need a
29 fortran compiler. And I do not have kde-meta installed; that's a waste
30 of resources. I only install what I actually need.