From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Status of Gentoo
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:24:56
1 On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 12:56 PM, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 12:06:07 -0700
3 > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:23 AM, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
6 > > wrote:
7 > > > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:00:41 -0700
8 > > > "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
9 > > >
10 > > > > On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:22 AM, Jamie Dobbs
11 > > > > <jamie.dobbs@×××××××.nz> wrote:
12 > > > > > I've been away from Gentoo for the last year or so and using
13 > > > > > Ubuntu but find that I want to return to Gentoo simply because
14 > > > > > of the level of customization that I can do with it.
15 > > > >
16 > > > > Well then, welcome back.
17 > > > >
18 > > > > <SNIP>
19 > > > > > Also I'm not running at Athlon X2 system, ifs there any _real_
20 > > > > > advantage to running AMD64 or should I still to x86?
21 > > > >
22 > > > > I run an amd64 as my desktop system. It' started as my 3rd
23 > > > > machine so at the time it was 64-bit for fun. today I just live
24 > > > > with it. There are some limitations on the 64-bit platform with
25 > > > > web-based media, but beyond that I find 32 and 64-bit machines
26 > > > > to be pretty similar in performance. I run old windows games
27 > > > > under Wine on 64-bit and they work OK. I think Flash and Java
28 > > > > have been the two larger issues for me over time. A few
29 > > > > win32codec issues also. However if I wanted to get around those
30 > > > > I could probably do something in a chroot but I'm not that
31 > > > > motivated.
32 > > > >
33 > > > > If I was building a desktop machine today I wouldn't build
34 > > > > 64-bit. I see no advantage and a few disadvantages, but either
35 > > > > way you go you'll probably be fine.
36 > > >
37 > > > I use a 64 bit myself and have done so ever since I got tired of
38 > > > running 32bit and wasting half my CPU. I recommend running a 32bit
39 > > > firefox, but other than that, there's no real problems here. Wine
40 > > > seems to run a little better in 64 bit than I've seen it perform on
41 > > > other systems but it's hard to be sure.
42 > > >
43 > > > Anyhow, just wanted to say I switched from 64 to 32 originally, as
44 > > > Mark suggested, and switched back very quickly. I don't know if
45 > > > the speed really changed, but it made me feel better about myself.
46 > > >
47 > >
48 > > It's an interesting question and one I've not tried to test. Does an
49 > > AMD64 machine running a 32-bit or 64-bit install run faster or slower
50 > > with one or the other. For all of my everyday work - Gnome, Firefox,
51 > > web browsing, email, MythTV, etc., it's been my assumption that there
52 > > wouldn't be any noticeble difference.
53 >
54 > for all of the above, the cpu probably isn't going to effect you either
55 > way. Network/Hard disk is likely to be the bottleneck for all of
56 > them.
57
58 And I submit that my usage is probably pretty common for most desktop
59 Linux users. The only performance issue might be emerge.
60
61 > MythTV uses an SQL backend and should benefit a little from 64
62 > bit - databases are one of the few places that really benefit from
63 > those extra bits, not sure why.
64
65 Not going to help me. The backend is on a 32-bit SMP machine. I'm
66 frontend only in my office.
69 > GIMP also seems to benefit a little, as does encoding pretty much any
70 > media (especially video). I'd imagine that inkscape and blender, etc.
71 > would also benefit significantly. But these results aren't tested,
72 > just mildly observed.
73
74 Yeah, makes sense.
77 > > I run 64-bit but assume I'd run
78 > > at more or less the same speed if I ran 32-bit. I may be wrong. Anyone
79 > > have any measured data? Same machine, two installs?
80 > >
81 > I never measured anything, but I wouldn't expect to see too much of a
82 > difference. If you want to waste your processor's registers, go 32
83 > bit. If you want to jump through hoops to deal with the greater web
84 > community (flash, java, etc) go 64 bit. Those are the downsides of
85 > each.
86
87 Yep. I understand the second first hand and probably cannot verify the first.
90 > I highly recommend multilib, though I never chroot into a native 32bit
91 > environment. You'll want to run a few of your programs 32bit,
92 > probably. But the two get together really well.
93
94 As an end-user, non-developer, home-only Gentoo sys admin I don't even
95 know what multilib is although I see it popping up all the time.
96 Please don't feel the need to write up anything major. Point me at
97 some doc that explains why I'd care and I'll read that. Thanks!
98
99 Cheers,
100 Mark
101 --