From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} SSD instead of RAID1?
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 17:25:38
1 Grant schrieb:
2 >>> Is cost-savings the advantage of using CF instead of SSD? It sounds
3 >>> like it might be wiser to spend a little more (low capacity SSD drives
4 >>> are pretty cheap now) and have a real storage device that doesn't need
5 >>> an adapter and is much faster, can swap, etc.
6 >> I assumed that you're looking at £100 or more for an SSD, as opposed to <
7 >> £10 for a CF card. I didn't check those prices, however.
8 >>
9 >> Are SSDs really *that* much better than CF cards in terms of write cycles?
10 >> (i.e. swap)
11 >> How much swap are you actually using?
12 >>
13 >> If the box is just a NAS, then I can't see the speed of the system drive is
14 >> an issue *at all*.
15 >
16 > They're actually workstations so I don't think I should neglect the
17 > performance aspect. Should this scheme keep the system running if the
18 > HD fails?
19 >
20 > / SSD
21 > /boot SSD
22 > /home HD
23 > swap HD
26 No. As I pointed out in one of my earlier posts, you can't put swap on
27 the HD. It would certainly crash the system when the disk fails.
28
29 Better make sure that these systems have that much RAM that they don't
30 need a swap-partition. Alternatively, buy a decent SSD, not a cheap one,
31 and swap on that.