From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stale Samba in Portage
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 23:20:30
1 ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' emerge samba -s
2
3 Look at man emerge and the portage docs for what the above does, and how
4 to make it permanent.
5
6 Critical apps seem to take a bit longer to get to stable, but the above
7 will often get you a more updated version, albeit at a higher risk of
8 problems.
9
10 Check out portage overlay in the docs to see how to make your own
11 ebuilds for specific versions - you can often copy and adjust an
12 existing ebuild, pop it into the overlay and have the latest and
13 buggiest at your beck and call. Note that this can also be used to keep
14 ancient versions around as well with a little more work.
15
16 Time: as a gentoo user you will find that a working definition of time
17 seems to change subtly ... over time ...
18
19 Lastly, dont forget to emerge sync regularly, and then run glsa-check
20 against your system to check for security updates.
21
22 BillK