From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Microcode update AMD
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 20:28:13
1 On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:57 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > So...why should I try unknown code patched into my CPU.
4 >
5 > It looks like "install this virus" from the security point
6 > of view, doesn't ist?
7
8 That was my point.
9
10 I think the idea Volker is suggesting is the micro-code updates go
11 from AMD (who understands what the issue is with their processor) to
12 the BIOS manufacturer (Phoenix or whoever did yous) and get
13 incorporated in a secure way. They are 'known good' in the BIOS update
14 we receive and write into a Flash drive. It's just a choice whether
15 you want to use that part of BOIS or now.
16
17 After all, _any_ BIOS update represents an opportunity for someone to
18 really mess you machine up. Doesn't matter if it's micro-code or
19 something else.
20
21 That's my reading of this so far....
22