From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Offtopic] Lightweight server distro for an old motherboard
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 13:29:45
1 On Wed, 29 Aug 2012 11:41:54 +0800
2 Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > On 08/29/12 11:35, Michael Mol wrote:
5 > > On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:57 PM, Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
6 > > wrote:
7 > >> Hi all,
8 > >> Anyone got any suggestions for a lightweight server
9 > >> distro for an old motherboard? I've got one of the VIA mini-ITX
10 > >> boards, SP13000, and want to whack something light onto it. It
11 > >> will be working as a file/media server and will be headless, hence
12 > >> will be fiddled via ssh. Obviously there are the usual suspects,
13 > >> debian, centos, but does anyone have any recommendations viv a vis
14 > >> a stripped down distro, sort of like Lubuntu is to Ubuntu?
15 > >>
16 > >> Any thoughts greatly appreciated,
17 > >
18 > > Cripes, you're asking in gentoo-user. Of course someone's going to
19 > > suggest Gentoo.
20 > >
21 > > Let it be me...and I'll explain:
22 > >
23 > > 1) You can put something like -Os or -O2 in your CFLAGS, whichever
24 > > helps your performance case better.
25 > > 2) You can target your CFLAGS to your exact processor, allowing
26 > > generated machine code to be as efficient as possible on your CPU
27 > > (which you'll need, if it's a low-power CPU!)
28 > > 3) You don't have to compile on the mini-ITX board; you can
29 > > cross-compile and use binpkgs to install.
30 > > 4) You can use USE flags to strip out (virtually) any and every
31 > > feature you don't use, reducing both your code size, load and
32 > > execution time.
33 > >
34 > > If you want to do something lightweight, there's not much better you
35 > > can do than with Gentoo.
38 > It had Gentoo on it for ages, and has not been updated in
39 > ages. It takes "years" to do anything, with respect to compiling so
40 > I'm just looking for a simple "point and click", binary download type
41 > of thingy to keep it going. I've been down the cross compile route
42 > also - once bitten twice shy and I don't care how many strides the
43 > dev's have made in recent years, I'm not trying again on principle.
44
45 There's also DamnSmallLinux but if you ask me that's going too far to
46 the other extreme. Yeah, it fits inside 50M but cripes, it has to use
47 weird package management to do it.
48
49 If not FreeBSD, then something Arch-based is probably your best step 1.
50 Arch is a bit like *buntu in many ways, once you've decided to go that
51 route, there's not really much difference between all the variants.
52 It's not the base that's resource heavy, it's KDE and Gnome.
58 Alan McKinnon
59 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com