From: Michael Schreckenbauer <grimlog@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: What is up with the libreoffice ebuild?
Date: Tue, 06 Sep 2011 18:41:23
1 Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 17:48:49 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
2 > Hi, Michael.
3 >
4 > On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 07:03:19PM +0200, Michael Schreckenbauer wrote:
5 > > Am Dienstag, 6. September 2011, 16:43:39 schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
6 > > > Is that right? How about it being saner to conform to standardised
7 > > > interfaces, protocols and formats?
8 > >
9 > > How about IPP?
10 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Printing_Protocol
11 > >
12 > > Oh wait... that's what cups is using.
13 >
14 > Ah yes, a standard. So we have the choice between all the IPP
15 > implementations. That's cups and, ... err - is there another one?
16
17 Well, there's lprng-ipp. Not in portage though
18 http://jointlab.upol.cz/~michale/projects/lprng-ipp/
19
20 For other OSes there are other implementations available.
21
22 > But why should I have to use an over the top bloated "Internet" protocol?
23 > I've got one single printer on the end of a USB cable. I want a simple
24 > spooler, as simple as possible and not simpler.
25 >
26 > > > No, the sane alternative is to use the `lpr' command, possibly
27 > > > augmented by special arguments for particular spoolers, but always
28 > > > having a fallback to standard `lpr'. That way, everybody's happy.
29 > > > Even me. ;-)>
30 > > How about the lpr command provided by cups?
31 > > Does it not work for you?
32 >
33 > I believe it did work for me for the short time I had cups installed.
34 > More pertinent is, why won't the lpr command work for LibreOffice?
35
36 Because LibreOffice uses ipp for printing.
37
38 Michael