From: Johannes Skov Frandsen <joe@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mailman trouble
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:56:38
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Johannes Skov Frandsen wrote:
3 >> Hi
4 >>
5 >> For some reason my mailman has stopped responding... probably after a
6 >> upgrade but I'm not sure.
7 >>
8 >> I can't seem to start or stop mailman...
9 >>
10 >> # /etc/init.d/mailman stop
11 >> * Stopping mailman
12 >> ...
13 >> [ !! ]
14 >> # /etc/init.d/mailman start
15 >> * WARNING: mailman has already been started.
16 >>
17 >> I tried to start mailman manually with '/usr/lib/mailman/mailmanctl
18 >> start' but got this error:
19 >>
20 >> Site list is missing: mailman
21 >>
22 >> Then I ask mailman to display my lists with '/usr/lib/mailman/bin/
23 >> list_lists' which gave me this response:
24 >>
25 >> No matching mailing lists found
26 >>
27 >> which is somewhat odd as I checked that the lists was located where
28 >> they have been the whole time at '/usr/local/mailman/lists/' which
29 >> was the case.
30 >>
31 >> I have tried to kill all mailman processes but without any luck in
32 >> regards to starting the service again.
33 >>
34 >> My best bet is that I have missed some crucial change when accepted
35 >> changes to a conf file after an upgrade using dispatch-conf, but I
36 >> have no idea which.
37 >>
38 >> Anybody had the same problem and found a solution?
39 >>
40 >> Worst case scenario, how do I move my existing lists to a fresh
41 >> installation of mailman?
44 > I'm not sure about mailman but this is how I handle a service that is
45 > giving me fits. /etc/init.d/<service-name> stop. Then I use ps aux
46 > and make sure there are no living processes still there and kill them
47 > if needed. Then I do a /etc/init.d/<service-name> zap then do a
48 > /etc/init.d/<service-name> start. Cross all fingers at that point.
49 >
50 > I'm not sure if it will help or not but until some mailman guru comes
51 > along, it may be worth thinking about trying. YMMV.
52 >
53 > Dale
54 >
55 > :-) :-)
56 I tried you approach..
57
58 when I run
59 # /etc/init.d/mailman start
60 * Starting mailman
61 ...
62 [ !! ]
63
64 So obviously it's still mad.
65
66 I also checked '/etc/mailman/mm_cfg.py' but it dos not mention paths
67 anywhere, so I guess the error is somewhere else..
68
69 I next tried to send run strace as David suggested and obviously mailman
70 has god reasons to be pissed about some paths.... (see attached)
71
72 Next question.... anybody have a solution or and idea how to fix
73 this..... I try to rebuild mailman and python to see what happens and
74 then I Ill get back whit the result.
81 Regards / Venlig hilsen
82
83 Johannes Skov Frandsen
84
85 *Address:* Egelundsvej 18, DK-5260 Odense S
86 *Web:* www.42tools.com | *Email:* joe@×××××××.com
87
88 /You live and learn. At any rate, you live. [Marvin]/

strace.output text/plain