From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] FAT/VFAT fs analyser ???
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 13:24:49
1 Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com> [08-11-30 14:21]:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de schrieb am 30.11.2008 13:31:
3 > > Hi Alan,
4 > >
5 > > the problem is... :)
6 > >
7 > > I own a iRiver T60 mp3 player, which uses the VFAT fs as
8 > > so many usbstick-like mass storage devices do.
9 > >
10 > > It /seems/ (which is equivalent to "i dont know, whether..."),
11 > > that the sequence in which the songs are played depend
12 > > on the sequence they were entered into the VFAT. Whith
13 > > rsync I could manage to copy the files, which carry the
14 > > trackno as the the first two characters in their filename.
15 > > in alphabetically order onto the device.
16 > >
17 > > So nice ... so good.
18 > > BUT:
19 > > In some rare cases the T60 insists in playing songs in
20 > > a different order.
21 > > Why ? No clue...
22 > >
23 > > Another aspect of this is: If I will delete a couple of
24 > > files on the device and rsync some new, the previously freed
25 > > directory/VFAT entries will be occupied first, before new
26 > > ones will be used, which will screw up the playing order
27 > > totally.
28 > >
29 > > Now I am looking for a VFAT editor and analyzer, which
30 > > permits me to explore and eventually -- if needed --
31 > > "hack" the VFAT into a different order, so that my
32 > > files will be played in the correct track order without
33 > > reformatting the device in whole for any delete/add file
34 > > action I want to do.
35 > >
36 > > If there is anything outside there, which will help
37 > > me to manage this task ... it would be very nice!
38 > >
39 > > Thank you very much for your help and time in advance!
40 > > Kind regards
41 > > mcc
44 > The firmware iriver provides to use their player as an usb mass storage
45 > device is simply crap. I also use one of the first players that firmware
46 > was available for. Now I see you own a newer player and still nothing
47 > has changed.
48 >
49 > And you are right the order is controlled by the order they are saved to
50 > the filesystem. It seems this is only true for the usb driver and not
51 > the mtp driver which is afaik only usable on windows.
52 >
53 > So the solution would be to make the driver smart enough to give control
54 > over the play order either by filename or better an option to look up
55 > the tags and sort according to different tags. But I guess this wont
56 > happen anytime soon.
57 >
58 > The problem was also reported here [1], but I guess you know this link
59 > as the rsync solution was also posted there.
60 >
61 > Regards,
62 >
63 > Daniel
64 >
65 > [1] https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-users/2008-January/135493.html
68 Hi Daniel,
69 Yes, I know of the rsync-trick....but it does not help me to
70 circumvent the probem I described.
71
72 Do you know of any useable VFAT editor/analyzer ?
73
74 Keep hacking! ;)
75 mcc
79 Please don't send me any Word- or Powerpoint-Attachments
80 unless it's absolutely neccessary. - Send simply Text.
81 See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html
82 In a world without fences and walls nobody needs gates and windows.