From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem installing GRUB
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 13:26:35
1 On 26/02/07, Rados³aw Grzanka <radekg@××××××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > Marco Schuler napisa³(a):
3 > > Hi all,
4 > >
5 > > after using other distributions for years I finally decided to go with
6 > > gentto to have to most flexibility. So here I am :-)
7 > >
8 > > I got trough the gentoo installation up to the point of installing
9 > > grub. After the command 'grub-install /dev/hda' my machine hangs
10 > > displaying the following meassage:
11 > > Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time
12 > >
13 > > I already searched the net to find a solution. The only thing I could
14 > > find was on http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/grub-error-guide.xml
15 > >
16 > > The comment on my problem:
17 > > One reported cause was an exotic configuration of disk devices, like
18 > > ultra/non-ultra DMA disks on one cable.
19 > >
20 > > I am installing on my notebook (only one HD) so the hint above did not
21 > > help me very much...
22 > >
23 > > Any hint or tips? Thanks a lot in advance!
24 >
25 > Hi,
26 > Do you have floppy drive? I am not sure what was actuall message of
27 > grub while trying to probe non-existent floppy drive but try running it
28 > with --no-floppy switch. I've seen broken grub-install scripts that did
29 > not respect this though. If so, then your only option is to try to
30 > install grub manually by using 'grub' command (search the web for details).
31
32 If that doesn't work you may want to tell us what's your:
33
34 fdisk -l
35
36 /boot/grub/grub.conf