From: Eric Bohn <bsee_1991@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Good arguments to use Gentoo Linux?
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 02:17:34
In the US, I'm almost certain you wouldn't be able to get away with running Gentoo, and more specifically, Portage, the way you apparently do in a secure govt environment.  There's probably a federal directive or regulation somewhere that prevents machines being run in govt organizations from using non-standard or officially unapproved technology and/or procedures, and for good reason...

I've had Portage hose my Gentoo install twice before to the point that I could no longer run Portage, and I run stable, not testing.  Using Portage you're putting yourself at the mercy of any Joe Schmoe with a proxy connection to a Gentoo server that wants to compromise your machine.  Even most commercial organizations, for job critical computing, have administrators that establish mirror servers for software testing prior to internal distribution.

It didn't sound like the OP was intending for anyone to do sys admin tasks with Gentoo either, I imagine that could prove to be risky using any Linux distro.