From: Edward M <martinezedward228@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] My PC died. What should I try?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2012 21:30:42
1 On 08/28/2012 01:57 PM, Alex Schuster wrote:
2 > So I had to wait. And when it became available, I wondered if it might
3 > be the processor instead that has the problem, so I let the PC shop
4 > diagnose CPU and board. This took until today, and they confirmed it
5 > was the board indeed, not the CPU. Fine, I bought the board, installed
6 > it in the PC, and guess what - it doesn't work. On the first boot I
7 > saw some BIOS status messages, hard drives and such, but the keyboard
8 > did not react, and then it did not boot, I got a black screen only.
9 > And on subsequent tries, with everything (2 ISDN cards, 4 hard drives)
10 > except for the DVD drive removed, the screen does not even turn on.
11 > All fans spin, and the DVD-ROM tray opens when I press the eject
12 > button. That's all. No keyboard LEDs.
13 >
14 > This sucks. Is it a faulty board again? Is something (the PSU?)
15 > killing the board once I turn the thing on? What will happen when I
16 > have the next board and try again? Argh.
17
18 Hello,
19
20 I would suggest check the psu connector plugs with a multimeter to
21 find out if it is working properly?
22 http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/ht/power-supply-test-multimeter.htm
23
24 And if the motherboard is somehow shorting out inside the case
25 http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/307187-30-motherboard-shorting-case