From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 18:15:49
1 On Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:13:40 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 12:35 PM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
4 > wrote:
5
6 > >> I'll articulate a few.  (i) The initramfs involves having two copies
7 > >> of lots of software around.
8 > >
9 > > Lots? For most people busybox is enough! If you want encrypted
10 > > filesystems on LVM over RAID that rises to a total of four
11 > > executables.
12 >
13 > And anything they might conceivably link to. Not everything supports
14 > static linking.
15
16 Those four all have static version, there are no libraries in my
17 initramfs.
18
19 > Don't forget boot-time X-based animation, too. That's an
20 > extraordinarily common feature of mainstream desktop distributions.
21 > And there will be other things, I'm sure.
22
23 I don't get involved with those, but I'd hope something intended to be
24 run so early would have minimal dependencies, if any.
25
26 > >> (ii) What's more, these two copies are often
27 > >> different, one being built with static libraries, the other with
28 > >> dynamic ones.  (iii) This situation is not (as far as I know) yet
29 > >> handled by Portage, which means in building such software
30 > >> statically, you've got to save the dynamic version somewhere else
31 > >> whilst you're doing it.
32 > >
33 > > That's wrong. For example, LVM builds dynamic executable plus the
34 > > lvm.static file for use in the initramfs.
35 >
36 > That's exactly what Alan just noted in (ii), but perhaps portage
37 > handles (iii) in the case of LVM.
38
39 Exactly, there are static and dynamic files, all handled by portage.
40
41 > >> (iv)
42 > >> The initramfs requires a potentially long script to make it work.
43 > >
44 > > Mount /proc, /sys and /dev.
45 > > Mount root
46 > > Unmount /proc, /sys and /dev.
47 > > switch_root
48 >
49 > Things look much simpler when you abstract away the details. You still
50 > have to manage lvm, mdraid and whatever else is necessary for mounting
51 > things. That's where 'potentially long' came from, I expect.
52 >
53 > >> I think that qualifies the initramfs solution as ugly.
54 > >
55 > > Only if you build the initramfs with USE="fud".
56 >
57 > FUD: "Fear, uncertainty and doubt"
58 >
59 > In short, three things which are important to rationally examine and
60 > deal with on a case-by-case basis.
61
62 Yes, ideally before you start spreading them instead of vague handwaving
63 about initramfs being ugly and using "lots of files" (four only counts at
64 lots when applied to wives).
69 Neil Bothwick
70
71 Loose bits sink chips.