From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] In search of a "good" windowmanager
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 09:36:27
1 On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 13:34:27 -0400, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
2 wrote:
3 > 090912 Lars Gustäbel wrote:
4 >> I've been using fvwm2 for years now ...
5 >> I have a graphical system monitor on my third desktop ...
6 >
7 > Can you have multiple desktops with Fvwm ?
8 > I couldn't find anything about it in the manual
9 > & dropped further investigation of Fvwm as a result.
10
11 Obviously you didn't look too much into fvwm. By default you
12 only have to move the mouse across the screen border to change
13 to another "page" using the fvwm terminology.
14
15 This is configurable of course, you have the DesktopSize option
16 which configures the number of pages on each desktop, you can as
17 well define many desktops, each of them with many pages. It's
18 far more powerful than the average WM in that regard, certainly
19 more powerful than xfwm, kwin or metacity (which is the dumbest
20 wm ever in my humble opinion).
21
22 Fvwm is not for the lazy, though. But it can do *almost* anything,
23 my only complain about it is the xinerama support, I am just one
24 of the xrandr haters out there.
25
26 Menus also can be defined and accessed using keybindings. Or you
27 could very well use just keybindings and don't use menus, which
28 is what I do.
29 --
30 Jesús Guerrero