From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: why you've chosen your desktop environment? (no war !)
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 15:47:47
1 On 2014-08-16, behrouz khosravi <bz.khosravi@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > So can you please tell me why you have chosen a specific DE and not
4 > the other options ?
5
6 I've been running XFCE for a long time.
7
8 Before that, I didn't have a "Desktop Environment" at all, just the
9 fvwm window manager which I started using back before Linux kernel
10 version 1.00 came out [before Linux and fvwm were around, I mostly
11 used the "twm" window manager]. At some point many years ago, there
12 was some problem with fvwm that I couldn't work-around (I don't even
13 remember what it was). I tried Gnome and KDE, but they were just _way_
14 too big and slow, and they both seemed to think that the desktop was
15 the be-all-and-end-all of computation and should always being the
16 center of your attention and the user-up of all resources.
17
18 I run a computer in order to run various apps. The desktop is just
19 there to manage windows and facilitate running those apps. It should
20 otherwise stay out of the way, out of sight, and out of memory.
21
22 XFCE does a pretty good job of that. XFCE isn't too big. XFCE
23 doesn't think it should always be the star of the show and the center
24 of everybody's attention. XFCE is stable: it doesn't get completely
25 re-designed, re-skinned, and broken every few years because people
26 finally figured how to actually use the old version and some new batch
27 of developers are bored and want to spray their scent all over
28 everything
29
30 Here's what my XFCE desktop looks like:
31
32 http://www.panix.com/~grante/desktop.png
35 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! Were these parsnips
36 at CORRECTLY MARINATED in
37 gmail.com TACO SAUCE?