From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Was re: [gentoo-user] system uptime
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 21:59:05
1 On 31/08/2015 15:41, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Monday 31 August 2015 11:42:28 Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> On 31/08/2015 10:50, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >>> The desktop machine I'm referring to (an Amari "workstation") dates from
5 >>> 2009. It has an i5 processor, 16GB RAM* and two 2GB SSDs as the main
6 >>> power sinks. It sits (runs) in a boxroom 6ft square and keeps it
7 >>> comfortably warm. I haven't noticed any change in ambient temp since the
8 >>> SSDs replaced spinners.
9 >>>
10 >>> * Whoever named that Random Access had a strange understanding of English.
11 >>> The last thing I want from memory is random access! How much better it
12 >>> would have been to call it something like Direct Access. Oh well - much
13 >>> too late now.
14 >>
15 >> It's random access to distinguish it from serial access. In the early
16 >> early days there were a lot of strange methods being tried to build
17 >> memory - like dots on a cathode ray tube! To get to bit you wanted, you
18 >> had to wait till the scanning beam reached that part of the screen -
19 >> serial access. Addressable memory on a grid pattern came much later.
20 >
21 > Yes, of course I know all that, but it's still the antithesis of random - it's
22 > absolutely specific. Random is what you'd get if you didn't specify anything.
25 Ah, an old timer - I forgot that for a second there :-)
28 > My favourite storage medium was core store. Millions of tiny ferrite rings,
29 > each at an intersection of orthogonal X and Y wires to specify the address,
30 > and a write pulse on another wire on the Z axis. At least, that's as close as
31 > I can remember now, 40 years later. No wonder computers were expensive.
32
33 40 years maybe, but still dead on the money. That's exactly how that
34 memory worked.
37 > I won't tell you what systems used a 24-bit processor and 12 or 16 KB of 2us
38 > core store backed by a 2MB disk (three feet in diameter), for fear of
39 > frightening you. ;-)
40
41 Nah, I have some experience with such things.
42
43 Remember the old horror stories about not smoking in the computer room,
44 because smoke particles are much bigger than fly height of the disk
45 heads? The young 'uns here never had to deal with that.
48 >> Random Access really means "able to access any random address as fast as
49 >> any other random address".
50 >
51 > My point is simply that the addresses are very far from randomly chosen. The
52 > distinguishing feature of the store is that you can go directly to the
53 > required location, without having to wait for it to reach the read/write
54 > device.
55
56 We understand each other perfectly; the odd bit is that word "random".
57 We both know it doesn't have the obvious meaning to a modern eye, and we
58 both know what random access really means
61 > As I said though, there'd be no point in getting all stressed about it now.
62 >
63 >> RAM is also not the opposite of ROM :-)
64 >
65 > I seem to be having a senior moment here; at least, I don't follow that.
66
67 When I was still a kid learning about memory, many folks thought ROM was
68 very different from RAM, and that somehow ROM didn't have the same
69 random access qualities that RAM has. It does, except that ROM can't be
70 written (and some RAM needs continual refreshing which ROM doesn't, but
71 that's another topic).
72
73 Eventually I gave up trying to clarify that part.
78 Alan McKinnon
79 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com