From: Emanuele Rusconi <emarsk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] necessary use flgas
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:34:31
1 On 25 June 2015 at 14:56, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > The only issue I'd raise with LFS in this day and age is that many of
4 > these guides tend to leave out stuff like devtmpfs, udev, policykit,
5 > and so on. Some people choose not to use them (this list probably
6 > being one of the larger collections of such folks), but it is
7 > increasingly important to understand how modern distros actually
8 > operate.
9 >
10 > Are there any LFS-like guides that actually utilize dbus/etc?
11 >
12 > --
13 > Rich
16 You're misinformed, actually.
17
18 The base guide (LFS proper) focuses on building just a base working system (a
19 @system, so to speak) capable of booting, connecting to the web, and building
20 whatever you may want to install upon that. It uses eudev, by the way,
21 although there is a version based on systemd which, from my understanding,
22 is considered to be a non-default one.
23
24 Dbus, policykit, Xorg, WMs, DEs etc. are all in the BLFS guide
25 ("Beyond LFS"), which
26 by nature is not a linear guide but more like a collection of recipes from which
27 to choose and pick.
28
29 -- Emanuele Rusconi