From: ionut cucu <cuciferus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 19:56:30
1 On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:08:02 -0500
2 "Walter Dnes" <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 09:18:26PM +0900, Mike Mazur wrote
5 >
6 > > The output of `grep flags /proc/cpuinfo` is:
7 > >
8 > > flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr
9 > > pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm
10 > > pbe nx lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts pni monitor ds_cpl vmx
11 > > est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr lahf_lm
12 >
13 > The "mmx", "sse", "sse2", and "sse3" items look relevant. Change
14 > your CFLAGS line (watch the linewrap)...
15 >
16 > CFLAGS="-march=prescott -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse
17 > -msse2 -msse3 -mfpmath=sse"
18 >
19 for a gcc above 4.2 march=native will do, but this is only for racing
20 it has nothing to do with the mplayer issue
21
22 > The "-mmmx -msse -msse2 -msse3" flags may be redundant if "prescott"
23 > implies them, but they won't hurt. The "-mfpmath=sse" may or may not
24 > be redundant. In a worst case, it won't hurt. It greatly speeds up
25 > floating-point calculations on X86-type systems (including AMD). In
26 > another message in this thread, you said...
27 >
28 > > xv is not listed when I type `mplayer -vo help`.
29 >
30 > This is to be expected. Since you have "-xv" in USE, xv support is
31 > blocked. Did you have any problems with xv that caused you to block
32 > it? If not, change "-xv" to "xv" in USE in /etc/make.conf. And while
33 > you're at it, add...
34 >
35 > mmx sse sse2
36 >
37 > to your USE parameters. In /etc/portage/package.use, add the line...
38
39 > media-video/mplayer ssse3
40 >
41 > > I guess I'll need to recompile everything if I want any changes to
42 > > come into effect?
43 >
44 > Hopefully, not everything. *AFTER MAKING ALL THE ABOVE CHANGES*
45 > try...
46 >
47 > emerge --ask --deep --newuse --update --world
48 >
49 > The --newuse forces a recompile of every item directly affected by
50 > any changes in CFLAGS or USE. The --deep forces a recompile of
51 > indirectly affected items. If there don't seem to be any problems,
52 > let it rebuild the listed items.
53 >
54 Firstly this is an overkill. secondly it has again nothing to do with
55 the choppy mplayer issue. Think about it: an vo=gl2 means mplayer will
56 not use the CPU for video rendering but the GPU hence the Cpu
57 optimisations are withou purpose on this driver. Furthermore even is
58 you use something like xv there are archs on wich mplayer runs(arm, or
59 686 or k7) where such optimisations are out of the question but mplayer
60 runs well. Also most linux distros don't have these cflags enabled and
61 yet mplayer works fine.
62
63 Mike does glxinfo|grep render gives an yes? do glxgears work properly ?
64 Will and opengl game work?(tuxrace)
65 --
66 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list