From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange cron messages...
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 09:00:11
1 On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 17:55:51 +0200, Eray Aslan wrote:
2
3 > On 16.11.2009 14:46, Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > > On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 09:05:18 +0200, Eray Aslan wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> - No need to logrotate with time based filenames. Hence, no
7 > >> need to "kill -HUP" the syslog daemon. No missed logs.
8 > >
9 > > Then how do you get the server to use the new logfile names each
10 > > day/week?
11 >
12 > It creates and uses a new file each hour/day/etc. Perhaps, you missed
13 > the file(...) directive?
14
15 I didn't miss it. My question was how to you get the process to USE the
16 new file. Unless you SIGHUP the process, it will continue using the
17 config in pace when it started.
18
19 > > You only need to send a SIGHUP to the server using that log
20 > > facility, so syslog would not be affected in your example.
21 >
22 > I can't parse this. The point is avoiding SIGHUP so that we do not miss
23 > any log messages.
24
25 You wouldn't miss a log messsage by sending a SIGHUP to your mail server,
26 the logger woulsd keep running.
27
28 > OP asked how one manages log files without logrotate and the answer is
29 > with time based file names. It has the additional benefit of avoiding
30 > SIGHUP.
31
32 I understood both the question and answer, but it seems like you are
33 avoiding logrotate by re-implementing it in your scripts.
37 Neil Bothwick
38
39 An example of hard water is ice.