From: tastytea <tastytea+gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: [gentoo-user] Ebuild: How to deal with external repositories properly (best practise)?
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 2020 23:51:50
1 On 2020-08-04 19:36-0400 Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 6:57 PM Alexey Mishustin <shumkar@×××××××.ru>
4 > wrote:
5 > >
6 > > вс, 2 авг. 2020 г. в 13:52, Ramon Fischer
7 > > <Ramon_Fischer@×××××××.de>:
8 > > >
9 > > > I decided to use "EGIT_COMMIT" to let the ebuild pulling a
10 > > > certain commit.
11 > >
12 > > And even that would not give the sense of security...
13 > >
14 > > Just read in gentoo-dev [1]:
15 > > ...unannounced serverside change by GitHub, which broke download of
16 > > tarballs by git-tree-hash, e.g. previously https://
17 > > api.github.com/repos/JuliaLang/MbedTLS.jl/tarball/
18 > > 2d94286a9c2f52c63a16146bb86fd6cdfbf677c6 would give the tarball for
19 > > that tree- hash, while it now gives the tarball for master instead.
22 This seems to affect only api.github.com, packages in ::guru use
23 https://github.com/<REPO>/archive/<COMMIT>.tar.gz instead, which is not
24 affected (just checked with net-wireless/rtl8192eu-0_pre20200123).
25
26 > I'm pretty sure EGIT_COMMIT will fetch by commit ID using git, not
27 > download a hash-labeled tarball, so I don't think this issue would
28 > impact you if that is how you're fetching things.
29
30 Correct.
31
32 > […]
33 > Still, unless github fixes this we'll probably have to fix a bunch of
34 > links in the repositories - at least any based on hashes. I'm not
35 > sure if this impacts tags. The SRC_URIs are still invalid and we
36 > don't want to maintain that state as new mirrors won't be able to
37 > retrieve the file, and we generally want a valid SRC_URI for
38 > everything. Devs can always just upload the tarball to any random
39 > webserver and change the URI to point to it. My guess though is that
40 > everybody will want to give this a few days to see if github fixes
41 > their links.
42
43 A quick grep indicated that the only packages in ::gentoo using
44 api\.github\.com.*tarball are net-analyzer/tcpflow, dev-python/mypy,
45 dev-lang/julia and app-forensics/dfxml.
46
47 > Really this could happen with any web hosting service - github is just
48 > a really prominent one. Back in the day if sourceforge suddenly went
49 > down a whole bunch of SRC_URIs would have broken too.