From: Doug Whitesell <dcw-gentoo-announce@××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing CHOST
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 02:08:12
1 On Sep 24, 2007, at 5:03 PM, David Relson wrote:
2 >> Just a thought: Is it possible to compile a 64bit kernel and use him
3 >> on the current system? That way you could set up your new native
4 >> 64bit
5 >> system in a chroot before overwriting the old one and thus minimize
6 >> downtime to less than 15 minutes.
7 >
8 > Florian,
9 >
10 > That would be ideal! It's exactly what I'd do -- if it's
11 > doable.
12 >
13 > Hopefully the experts will point to a HOWTO :->
14 >
15 This sounds like a way to infinite pain. (This is at first glance and
16 off the top of my head without looking into it, of course...) While
17 it may be possible to cross-compile a 64-bit kernel on a 32-bit
18 system, IIRC unless you have the right runtime libraries compiled for
19 64-bit you may have massive trouble getting the system to even come up.
20
21 But I'm not an expert on new and cool ways to try things, so your
22 mileage may vary.
23 --
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list