From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] yet another eeepc story
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 18:16:15
1 Matt Harrison schrieb:
2 > I know this has probably all been covered by I've looked around and
3 > failed to find a succinct source of information.
4 >
5 > I'm wanting to try gentoo on my eeepc 900, but I'm failing at some very
6 > basic level. I've got an external CD drive attached and booted from the
7 > current i686-2008 minimal cd. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the
8 > wired or wireless network devices so I'm unable to grab the stage3 and
9 > portage tarballs.
10 >
11 > I was going to put them on a CD then work on the network stuff later
12 > with a more recent kernel, then I realised that the SSDs in use won't
13 > really like compilations being done (apart from it being achingly slow
14 > on this processor).
15 >
16 > So what are my options? Ideally I want to have the network going so I
17 > can compile the packages on my desktop, then have them installed over
18 > the network.
19 >
20 > I've read several wiki articles etc which talk about patching older
21 > kernels, or that the 2.6.28-* series having support for the network, but
22 > both of those methods would involve me making my own bootable media,
23 > something I've done before and remember it took me a fair amount of work.
24 >
25 > Any advice from you guys would be great, as I'm about to just stick XP
26 > on it ;)
27 >
28 > ~Matt
31 How about a good old sneakernet? [1]
32 Grab a memory stick and use it to transfer data between your eee and a
33 decent machine.
36 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneaker_net