From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I thought /etc/X11/xorg.conf was set in stone
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:58:51
1 I have noticed in the last couple days that rolling the wheel on my
2 mouse is not scrolling through webpages or email.
3 I checked my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it had not been changed. Just to be
4 sure it is not a broken mouse I booted into Mandrake and tested it
5 there, mouse scrolled like a charm. After I booted back to Gentoo, the
6 mouse was still not working. I decided to steal the setting from
7 Mandrake's XF86Config, since it was working there.
8 I changed my /etc/X11/xorg.conf from:
9 Identifier "Mouse1"
10 Driver "mouse"
11 Option "Protocol" "PS/2"
12 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
13 Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
14 to:
15 Identifier "Mouse1"
16 Driver "mouse"
17 Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
18 Option "Device" "/dev/input/mouse0"
19 Option "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
20 After I made that change I rebooted. When I checked my
21 /var/log/Xorg.0.log, it was still showing the original settings i.e.
22 PS/2 not the ExplorerPS/2. After some digging around noticed the line
23 (==) Using config file: "//xorg.conf". Sure enough I had backed up my
24 xorg.conf to the / folder a couple months ago and sure enought it was
25 using that copy. After I changed that file name, I rebooted and the
26 correct information is now showing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, (==) Using
27 config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".
28
29 I was under the impression that the folder /etc/X11is the folder only
30 scanned and used. That is why I put the backup copy there. My question
31 is: is this behavior a know thing and I missed it, or can others be
32 bitten by this also?
33
34 P.S. the mouse is still not scrolling. Any help with this would be great.
35 Thanks
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list