From: George Roberts <georoberts@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] I thought /etc/X11/xorg.conf was set in stone
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 23:58:51
I have noticed in the last couple days that rolling the wheel on my
mouse is not scrolling through webpages or email.
I checked my /etc/X11/xorg.conf and it had not been changed.  Just to be
sure it is not a broken mouse I booted into Mandrake and tested it
there, mouse scrolled like a charm.  After I booted back to Gentoo, the
mouse was still not working.  I decided to steal the setting from
Mandrake's XF86Config, since it was working there.
I changed my /etc/X11/xorg.conf from:
    Identifier    "Mouse1"
    Driver    "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "PS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
to:
    Identifier    "Mouse1"
    Driver    "mouse"
    Option "Protocol"    "ExplorerPS/2"
    Option "Device"      "/dev/input/mouse0"
    Option    "ZAxisMapping" "6 7"
After I made that change I rebooted.  When I checked my
/var/log/Xorg.0.log, it was still showing the original settings i.e.
PS/2 not the ExplorerPS/2.  After some digging around noticed the line
(==) Using config file: "//xorg.conf".  Sure enough I had backed up my
xorg.conf to the / folder a couple months ago and sure enought it was
using that copy.  After I changed that file name, I rebooted and the
correct information is now showing in /var/log/Xorg.0.log, (==) Using
config file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

I was under the impression that the folder /etc/X11is the folder only
scanned and used.  That is why I put the backup copy there.  My question
is: is this behavior a know thing and I missed it, or can others be
bitten by this also?

P.S. the mouse is still not scrolling.  Any help with this would be great.
Thanks