From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub chainloader
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 19:45:10
1 On 7/18/07, Александър Л. Димитров <aleks_d@×××.de> wrote:
2 > On 23:51 Tue 17 Jul, Thufir wrote:
3 > > Oh. Why was the grub documentation not understandable like that?
4 > > maybe I misread it. thanks for explaining!
5 >
6 > I guess you missed it. `info grub' says (*Note chainloading)
7 >
8 > ---8<---8<----
9 >
10 > 4.1.2 Load another boot loader to boot unsupported operating systems
11 > --------------------------------------------------------------------
12 >
13 > If you want to boot an unsupported operating system
14 [...]
15
16 I was going by:
17
18 "13.3.4 chainloader
19 — Command: chainloader [--force] file
20
21 Load file as a chain-loader. Like any other file loaded by the
22 filesystem code, it can use the blocklist notation to grab the first
23 sector of the current partition with `+1'. If you specify the option
24 --force, then load file forcibly, whether it has a correct signature
25 or not. This is required when you want to load a defective boot
26 loader, such as SCO UnixWare 7.1 (see SCO UnixWare). "
27 <http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/grub.html#chainloader>
28
29 which is far less informative from my POV than the info message you
30 quoted. I did refer to the manual, just the wrong one, apparently :)
33 -Thufir