From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:03:42
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Florian Philipp [mailto:lists@f_philipp.fastmail.net]
3 > Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2008 2:20 PM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sound jack isolations
8 > On Tue, 2008-01-29 at 12:58 -0600, Marzan, Richard non Unisys wrote:
9 > > I tried googling around but no helpful content so far. I have a
10 laptop
11 > > with built-in sound. It uses the HDA_intel kernel module. My problem
12 is
13 > > that I can't silence the onboard/built-in speakers when I plug in
14 the
15 > > headphones to the machine. Muting sound would lead to all jacks and
16 > > audio ports to be silenced -- not just the built-in speakers, which
17 I
18 > > intend to mute solely leaving sound alive on the headphone jacks.
19 There
20 > > are no channels readily observable to differentiate where sound goes
21 and
22 > > to which port with alsa-mixer. The behavior I would like to achieve
23 is
24 > > one that will allow me to mute onboard speakers while continuing to
25 have
26 > > the headphones receive audio signals. Has anyone ever done this? Any
27 > > pointers to documentation will be appreciated.
28 >
29 > Does it work with Windows? I'd expect such things to be implemented i
30 > hardware.
33 Yeah, it worked with Vista, when I first bought and booted it, before I
34 nuked it off my system. It should be implemented in the hardware but to
35 save a few gates it is not done. They leave it up to software engineers,
36 which is alright when you publicly provide the documentation on how to
37 do it.
38 --
39 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list