From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SR-IOV for RAID/HBA's? anyone tried it?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 08:01:15
1 On Monday, July 3, 2017 8:30:08 AM CEST Taiidan@×××.com wrote:
2 > On 07/03/2017 12:24 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On July 2, 2017 7:36:02 PM GMT+02:00, "Taiidan@×××.com" <Taiidan@×××.com>
4 wrote:
5 > >> On 07/02/2017 02:51 AM, J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 > >>> On July 1, 2017 11:23:06 PM GMT+02:00, "Taiidan@×××.com"
7
8 > >> VM with quality performance.
9 > >> It'll always be faster than an emulated disk.
10 > >
11 > > Never noticed any performance issues. Using Xen and raw disk format to the
12 > > VMs.
13 > http://semiaccurate.com/2009/09/30/lsi-virtualizes-storage-hardware/
14
15 I am missing how to accessed the disks here in both options.
16 The difference in performance is far more then I ever saw, even with older
17 hardware.
18 With that difference, it seems their KVM configuration is rubbish.
19
20 > For me I have 3/4 the native copy speed, and the I/O for example
21 > extracting a zip is terrible.
22
23 I never noticed any real difference, even when the host managed the HBA.
24 How do you configure your VMs and which technology do you use?
25
26 > >>> Either the VM needs a fraction of a single disk. Or it needs multiple
27 > >>
28 > >> disks.
29 > >>
30 > >>> For the latter case, I prefer to pass an entire HBA.
31 > >>
32 > >> Which one do you have and does yours support FLR?
33 > >
34 > > Using a Supermicro card based on a LSI3008 chipset and dual expander
35 > > backplane. I can always add a second HBA of I need more bandwidth.
36 > >
37 > > What is FLR? Googling that gives me a lot of non IT related results.
38 >
39 > Function level reset, it is required to be able to assign devices to
40 > VM's without annoyance.
41
42 Passing to VM works flawlessly with this card. Didn't have any issues with
43 setting it all up.
44
45 > The 3K series supports SR-IOV so you probably have it.
46 > Could you run # lspci -vv?
47
48 Results from the VM attached.
49 I don't see any mention of SR-IOV in there.
50
51 My network-card does have this, but unless I can have the card do the bonding
52 and vlans, I see no use for it there either.
55 Joost

lspci.txt text/plain