From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: ncurses: reductio ad absurdum
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2015 15:26:37
1 Rich Freeman <rich0 <at> gentoo.org> writes:
4 > On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM, James <wireless <at> tampabay.rr.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > It there an easy, automated way to have this inforation on my system(s)
7 > > without extra keystrokes?
8 >
9 > Either wait for somebody to provide the old-style changelogs (some
10 > consider this critical, some consider this pointless - I'll admit I
11 > tend to fall in the latter), or just sync from git and run git
12 > log/whatchanged <path> or even tig <path>. That really gets you the
13 > same info and more, and lets you filter by path, file, and so on.
14
15 Well, my git (kung fu) is currently terse. So, how do I automate
16 this so the data via Git is on my system, say synced once a day?
17 What I do not want is a 'per package' effort; suggestions
18 are most welcome as is syntactical examples.
19
20 > Also, if a commit touched many packages at once it will show up in the
21 > log for each of the packages, but looking at it will also show you all
22 > the other related changes. It really is a much more data-rich view.
23
24 I agree with this. But since the Changlog data was a fundamental part
25 of Gentoo, for a very long time, and the devs wisely chose to upgrade
26 to git, I would think that this functionality would be provided
27 via git, at least by some hacks or detailed example. I do not need
28 another project and I do read and experiment quite a bit with git. But that
29 growth is going to take time. In the meantime WE, the gentoo users should
30 not be required to study git and roll our own solution, one at a time from
31 previously well defined functionality, imho. Besides Git is
32 quite a beast:: how long from inception to completion did the gentoo git
33 migration take? years? a decade?
34
35 > While I do believe the ChangeLogs will show up again for those who
36 > prefer them, I think that taking a bit of time to learn to use git is
37 > going to make your life better in the long haul. I think that in time
38 > people will stop using ChangeLogs.
39
40 But that's exactly the point; for Changelogs and such info, there
41 should at least be a news item or dev-blog post on automating such
42 things. Per packages solutions miss the point of convenience of Changelogs.
43 Enhanced data beyond changelogs? Sure, but that caveat should not be
44 a blocker to what was available. ymmv.
47 The simple matter is Changelogs are very useful, quick and simple and
48 once you see a seasoned dev did the work, most look elsewhere for problems.
49 As you know there is quite a variance in dev skills, particularly with
50 different languages and large/complex projects.
53 wwr,
54 James