From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] compressing pdf file
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 03:52:13
1 thelma@×××××××××××.com <thelma@×××××××××××.com> [17-02-23 02:57]:
2 > On 02/22/2017 03:12 PM, karl@××××××××.se wrote:
3 > > Thelma:
4 > >> I have scaned pdf file (88-page) 23MB in size (downloaded this way).
5 > >> Trying to reduce the size of the file I [...]
6 > >
7 > > Why don't you extract the images with pdfimages from the pdf and
8 > > compress them with xv or convert (imagemagic) and maybe gimp can
9 > > comress them also. Don't know how to get them back into a pdf though.
10 > >
11 > > Regards,
12 > > /Karl Hammar
13 > >
14 > > -----------------------------------------------------------------------
15 > > Aspö Data
16 > > Lilla Aspö 148
17 > > S-742 94 Östhammar
18 > > Sweden
19 > > +46 173 140 57
20 >
21 > I'm puzzled as to what program they used to compress the PDF file with such a good quality output (PDF format as well).
22 >
23 > This is the link I use to compress the file:
24 > https://online2pdf.com/pdf-reduce-size
25 >
26 > I've tried:
27 > gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dDownsampleColorImages=true -dColorImageResolution=150 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf
28 >
29 > gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/ebook -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf
30 >
31 > convert -density 200x200 -quality 60 -compress jpeg COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf 5.pdf
32 >
33 > gs -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dPDFSETTINGS=/screen -dNOPAUSE -dQUIET -dBATCH -sOutputFile=5.pdf COVERAGE_July-1-2016.pdf
34 >
35 > The last one above gave me decent size I think about 5MB but the quality wasn't very good.
36 > All others, size was hardly reduced or quality was terrible.
37 >
38 > Gimp will open only one page at at time, so it is not suitable for this conversion.
39 >
40 > --
41 > Thelma
45 Hi Thelma,
46
47 may be it would gave you a hint, what happens to the PDF while
48 compressing, so it is easier to duplicate the result.
49
50 I think, the pdf which was the direct result of the scanning
51 process is a series of images in a kind of pdf container.
52
53 May be you will find a site on the internet (I dont know
54 of any program on Gentoo, which does this) which is
55 able to analyse the structure of a pdf.
56
57 May the result of that analyses will give you a hint,
58 what magic the compression process has done.
59
60 By the way: What did you scann? Pure Text? Images
61 only? A mixture of both? Line drawings?
62
63 Did you find traces of an ocr process like mispelled
64 word and/or missing character?
65
66 HTH!
67 Cheers