From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Giving Gentoo Another Go
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 15:29:29
1 > On Fri, 18 March 2016, at 6:07 am, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > …
4 > USE flags enable and disable features of software at compile-time. Take
5 > for example a music player. Maybe it can store the metadata about your
6 > music in flat files, in sqlite, in mysql or postgres. Now you must make
7 > a choice where to put the flag. Maybe your music collection is HUGE and
8 > postgres is the best fit.
9 >
10 > If you add it to make.conf it becomes global and every piece of software
11 > that supports postgres will now be rebuilt to give postgres support.
12 > Maybe you don't need or want that.
13 >
14 > A flag like that is best put into package.use where it applies only to
15 > the package you list there. So postgres gets installed, the music player
16 > gets support and your MTA does not.
17
18 To expand on this example, if `emerge -p` showed your music player had flags for mp3, mp4 and aac files, I would probably set those in /etc/make.conf, because I want all music and video players and converters to support these common file types.
19
20 Stroller.