From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Abut smb:// aware tools
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 15:32:23
1 On 10/03/2009 05:55 AM, Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 3:56 PM, Harry Putnam<reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Do we have tools other than Konqueror that are aware of smb/UNK
4 >> addressing?
5 >>
6 >> Before you answer please note that:
7 >> I know about ssh
8 >> I know about fuse
9 >> I know about mount -tcifs
10 >>
11 >> I'd really like to be able to use UNK addressing from the cmd line.
12 >>
13 >> cd //host/share
14 >>
15 >> I don't now how many of you have noticed but bash shell from cygwin on
16 >> windows has that capability built in. Or maybe it comes from windows
17 >> env.
18 >> You can do `cd //linux-host/share' in a bash terminal
19 >>
20 >> If command line smb/UNK is not on without lots of diddling around, what
21 >> about some file managing tool that does it like Konqueror does.
22 >>
23 >> Emacs is said to be able to do this using tramp but I haven't ever
24 >> gotten it to work.
25 >>
26 >> Konqueror can do it... but I don't run kde, and don't really want to
27 >> fiddle with it in that direction.
28 >
29 > Midnight Commander can do it.
30
31 Nifty, I didn't know that. Amazing what mc can do. Couple of points
32 that are not obvious in case Harry wants to try mc: it needs to be
33 compiled with the samba USE flag set; and you access your samba shares
34 using the "Right" or "Left" dropdown menus at the top of the mc window.
35
36 This function of mc (being an old app) I'm guessing is what inspired
37 the similar functions in konqueror and nautilus, but I'm not sure about
38 the order of events.
39
40 Thanks for the tip.