From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Python TK
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 16:45:07
1 On Thu, 26 Jul 2012 12:36:37 -0400, Michael Mol wrote:
2
3 > >> You could build packages in a chroot on a faster machine, that's
4 > >> what I do to run Gentoo on lower-popwered devices.
5 > >
6 > > Really that goes? With diffrent CPUs, Graphics and so? Because in
7 > > Desktop is Core 2 Duo with ATI Graphic and the network cards others.
8 > > On Netbook run Atom, Intel Graphic and Atheros Network.
9 >
10 > Sure. Just keep your USE flags straight. Graphics boards shouldn't
11 > make any difference at all in a cross-compiling scenario. As for
12 > CPU...programs compiled to run on an Atom proc should have no problem
13 > running on a Core 2 Duo.
14
15 There are a few issues running programs compiled for an Atom on an i7, I
16 had to build one or two programs natively, but overall it works very
17 well. You aren't running that much in the chroot, basically the
18 toolchain, so most programs don't actually need to run on the other
19 processor, as long as they compile.
20
21 I've been doing it this way for several years, mainly with Atom-based
22 systems but oslo on a system running a Geode LX, effectively a 486, which
23 would take rather a long time to compile natively.
27 Neil Bothwick
28
29 Kludge: (v., adj., or n.) to fix a program in the usual way.