From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Sharing printers via Cups
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 2021 12:03:01
1 On Sunday, 14 February 2021 06:43:55 GMT Dan Egli wrote:
2 > On 2/12/2021 4:00 AM, Michael wrote:
3
4 > > D [11/Feb/2021:13:08:36 -0700] [Job 11] hpcups
5 > > (application/vnd.cups-raster to printer/ENVY, cost 0)
6 > >
7 > > This is the hplip printer driver in action, using a MIME format for CUPS
8 > > to transmit and print raster imaged pages.
9 > >
10 > > Question: Why is this driver in play?
11 > >
12 > > Even if the physical printer is an HP, it is neither connected to Janus,
13 > > nor Athena.
14 >
15 > No, it's not. But the windows printer driver expects the client to do
16 > all the rendering and deliver only finalized printer instructions when
17 > it receives network jobs. I suppose I could change it to a generic
18 > PostScript driver and tell Windows to do the rendering...
19
20 I think the problem arises if you layer one printer driver over another.
23 > > I suggest you configure CUPS in Janus to use a different print driver:
24 > >
25 > > First try 'IPP everywhere' the latest /driverless/ printing option. With
26 > > 'IPP everywhere' CUPS will communicate with IPP enabled printers and
27 > > interrogate them on the fly to generate and use the requisite PPD
28 > > capabilities configuration.
29 >
30 > Hmmm. Didn't see IPP everywhere as a "driver" but i really didn't look
31 > past the HP drivers. But I question if even that will work. Sounds like
32 > when Athena tries to render the page into printer instructions it's
33 > dying, with the cupsRasterOpen failed (and what kind of an error message
34 > is that? Tell me something I might be able to use to FIX the issue!).
35
36 Heh! Devs' messages are usually clear in their meaning. Mostly to devs. :-)
37
38 Since the printer is not physically attached to and driven by Athena, I think
39 the rendering is taking place by the MSWindows printer driver, at the Windows
40 OS.
41
42 Athena functions as a router in this case pushing what it receives over
43 smb://.
44
45 Have a look here for the 'IPP Everywhere' configuration option:
46
47 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Driverless_printing
50 > > If this doesn't work, then try 'RAW' and leave it to Athena's CUPS server
51 > > to submit the raw data for printing to its back end (Windows Printer via
52 > > SAMBA).
53 > >
54 > > The logs should indicate if there is a problem somewhere along the chain.
55 >
56 > I'll try this and let you know. I'm actually about to head for bed as I
57 > write this, so I'll check on it Tomorrow (Sunday).