From: "Andreas Prieß" <ap@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switch to VT1 on shutdown fails with mesa >= 9.1
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 12:31:49
1 On 04.10.2013 13:44, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On 04/10/2013 13:20, Andreas Prieß wrote:
3 >> Since I don't know the cause and didn't find a way to debug this, here
4 >> are the symptoms:
5 >>
6 >> Ever since media-libs/mesa >= 9.1 went stable I had the problem, that
7 >> the switch from Xfce on VT7 back to VT1 on shutdown fails. The screen
8 >> goes black and does not show anything, but the system halts as normal.
9 >> It is not possible to switch to VT1 by keyboard while the shutdown is
10 >> still in progress when this has happened.
11 >>
12 >> I can't find anything in the Xorg or other log files according to this
13 >> problem. Can't find anything related in Gentoo bugzilla or searching the
14 >> web...
15 >>
16 >> The problem always disappeared by downgrading to mesa < 9.1, but that
17 >> now requires other packages to be downgraded too, so I'd like to resolve
18 >> this.
19 >>
20 >> It is an AMD64 system with an ATI Barts PRO [Radeon HD 6850] using KMS,
21 >> desktop session with Xfce started by x11-misc/lightdm.
22 >>
23 >> Any hints on how to debug this problem would be highly appreciated.
24 >
25 > I've had a few things similar tot his happen to me over the years.
26 > Strangely, each time it has been framebuffer and related settings in the
27 > kernel config! (mostly incompatible options selected)
28 >
29 > What do you have in your kernel config?
30
31 The kernel is manually compiled from gentoo hardened-sources-3.11.3 with
32 PAX and GRSEC enabled for desktop system, RBAC disabled. (The system
33 runs stable packages with the kernel being one of very few exceptions.)
34
35 In the "Graphics support" section just two things are enabled manually,
36 the rest is automatically selected:
37
38 CONFIG_DRM and CONFIG_DRM_RADEON.
39
40 This results in the following (unset options shortened):
41
42 # Graphics support
43
44 # CONFIG_AGP is not set
45 CONFIG_VGA_ARB=y
46 CONFIG_VGA_ARB_MAX_GPUS=16
47 # CONFIG_VGA_SWITCHEROO is not set
48 CONFIG_DRM=y
49 CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=y
50 # CONFIG_DRM_LOAD_EDID_FIRMWARE is not set
51 CONFIG_DRM_TTM=y
52
53 # I2C encoder or helper chips
54
55 CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
56 # CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_UMS is not set
57
58 CONFIG_HDMI=y
59 CONFIG_FB=y
60
61 CONFIG_FB_CFB_FILLRECT=y
62 CONFIG_FB_CFB_COPYAREA=y
63 CONFIG_FB_CFB_IMAGEBLIT=y
64
65 # Frame buffer hardware drivers
66
67 # CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_LCD_SUPPORT is not set
68 CONFIG_BACKLIGHT_CLASS_DEVICE=y
69
70 # Console display driver support
71
72 CONFIG_VGA_CONSOLE=y
73 # CONFIG_VGACON_SOFT_SCROLLBACK is not set
74 CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
75 CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
76 CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
77 # CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION is not set
78 # CONFIG_LOGO is not set
82 Anything else relevant in the kernel?