From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT^2] Simple Linux Router on a live CD?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:12:22
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 21 February 2007 20:59, kashani wrote:
3 >> Uwe Thiem wrote:
4 > [unnecessary but good for the soul work...]
5 >
6 >> throttle it was pointed out that the chain had a bit too much slack and
7 >> probably needed to be replaced. $28 and one half hour later the problem
8 >> was fixed.
9 >
10 > I would have thought that you would be able to hear it clonking if it was that
11 > slack to affect take-off. What bike are we talking about?
12 >
13 > PS. I'm sure there will be some mileage to be gained if we were to do a deal
14 > on the mutual help thing. :-)
15
16 '74 Honda CB350F making of all of 20HP so the clonking was minimal on
17 take off. Also no one had mentioned that the bike should live at
18 5000-9000 RPMs so I was probably realizing 9HP at most on take off. With
19 the above in mind the problem was most pronounced at some speed with
20 RPMs around 4000-5000 when I had enough torque to cause the slack to be
21 an issue, usually while changing speed or accelerating through turns.
22 The overall affect was to see saw the bike which was made worse while I
23 tried to compensate for it at the throttle. Springs made in a recent
24 decade might have made it easier to figure out. A used, ancient bike,
25 with issues was probably not the best choice as a starter bike.
26
27 Relating this back to Gentoo after getting burning in a few consulting
28 gigs I started forcing new jobs to have a level of stability before I'd
29 start the main project. There is nothing worse than DNS that doesn't
30 work or doesn't match reverse DNS when you're trying to read logs. Badly
31 configured networks with chains of crappy hubs are another favorite. "I
32 can't tell why Samba doesn't authenticate your users and frankly I'm
33 surprised anything works here with the number of retransmits I'm seeing
34 on your interfaces!"
35 A number of new computer users fall into this trap and resort to
36 reinstalling in order to fix what might have been simple issues. Gentoo
37 users sometimes have it worse as there is plenty of rope handed out to
38 hang yourself if you don't approach it in an organized fashion or at
39 least clean up properly after earlier failed experiments.
40 Troubleshooting an issue is always hard when you don't have confidence
41 that the overall system is correct which was some of the trap I fell
42 into with the bike.
43
44 In regards to mileage I did SF to LA and back this weekend (on the ZR-7S
45 not the 350F, thank God) so don't be surprised when the new '74 CB550F
46 project shows up at your door. :-)
47
48 kashani
49 --