From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] No sound after resuming from hibernation
Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 16:13:46
1 On Sunday, 3 January 2021 15:59:49 GMT Dr Rainer Woitok wrote:
2 > Greetings,
3 >
4 > immediately after a reboot I can clearly hear the white noise created by
5 > executing
6 >
7 > $ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
8 > Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
9 > Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono $
10 >
11 > and the "lsmod" command lists quite a few loaded sound modules. Howev-
12 > er, after resuming from hibernation the same "aplay" command still pro-
13 > duces the same line on standard output, returns the same exit code of 0,
14 > but does not produce any sound. And the "lsmod" command still lists the
15 > same loaded modules.
16 >
17 > Anybody having a clue what's happening here?
18 >
19 > And while we are at it: At
20 >
21 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Kernel/Gentoo_Kernel_Configuration_Guide
22 >
23 > the authors flatly state "Note that ALSA is an exception to the suggest-
24 > ed scheme of not building things as modules: ALSA is actually much easi-
25 > er to configure when the components are modular." without giving any
26 > further expanation. What precisely am I giving away when I build the
27 > ALSA stuff directly into the kernel?
28 >
29 > Sincerely,
30 > Rainer
31
32 It used to be the case modules were probed/reloaded by 'alsactl init' when
33 initialising the audio card. If built in the kernel binary the command
34 couldn't do this. Troubleshooting required monitoring responses and errors as
35 the modules were being loaded and consequently the devs were not very
36 forthcoming with solutions, unless you had your alsa drivers compiled as
37 modules.
38
39 I had a laptop a long time ago, which I had to reboot into MSWindows to get
40 the audio to work again. Using alsamixer and alsactl in Linux would not wake
41 up the card, no matter what I tried. One day this problem went away after a
42 kernel update, so I attributed it to a buggy linux audio driver.
43
44 Some modules show power saving features with 'modinfo', which may alter the
45 card's behaviour if they can be switched off.
46
47 I suggest you use alsactl init before and after and compare the output between
48 a working and non-working state, to try to isolate the problem.