From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hows this for rsnapshot cron jobs?
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:27:53
1 On 21/04/2013 22:49, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-04-21 4:32 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 21/04/2013 20:47, Tanstaafl wrote:
4 >>>> 30 20 1 * * root rsnapshot -c /etc/rsnapshot/myhost1.conf
5 >>>> monthly
6 >>>> 20 20 1 * * root rsnapshot -c /etc/rsnapshot/myhost1.conf yearly
7 >
8 >> Only the last line is wrong - your monthly and yearly are equivalent.To
9 >> be properly yearly, you need a month value in field 4.
10 >
11 > Oh, right (I added that interval myself, rsnapshot only comes with the
12 > hourly, daily weekly and monthly by default).
13 >
14 > So, if I wanted it to run at 8:20pm on Dec 31, it would be:
15 >
16 > 20 22 31 12 * root rsnapshot -c /etc/rsnapshot/myhost1.conf yearly
19 Correct
23 >> I'm not familiar with rsnapshot, I assume that package can deal with how
24 >> many of each type of snapshot to retain in it's conf file? I see no
25 >> crons to delete out of date snapshots.
26 >
27 > Correct, rsnapshot handles this.
28 >
29 >> And, more as a nitpick than anything else, I always recommend that when
30 >> a sysadmin adds a root cronjob, use crontab -e so it goes in
31 >> /var/spool/cron, not /etc/crontab. Two benefits:
32 >>
33 >> - syntax checking when you save and quit
34 >> - if you let portage, package managers, chef, puppet or whatever manage
35 >> your global cronjobs in /etc/portage, then there's no danger that system
36 >> will trash the stuff that you added there manually.
37 >
38 > I prefer doing things manually... so, nothing else manages my cron jobs.
39 >
40 > That said, I prefer to do this 'the gentoo way'... so is crontab -e the
41 > gentoo way?
44 There's no "gentoo way" for this :-)
45
46 Admittedly, things have changed over the years, most distros now have
47 the equivalent of "cron.daily" etc that cron jobs get installed into,
48 leaving the main /etc/crontab as a place to put the lastrun logic. It
49 wasn't always like that though.
50
51 If you ever move to puppet or similar to do your configs you'll want to
52 revisit this. Meanwhile, as you do everything manually anyway, your
53 current method seems to work just fine for you
57 Alan McKinnon
58 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com