From: Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd and kernel developers cooperating to turn it into a global cgroup manager?
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2013 14:06:07
1 On 20/10/13 17:01, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2013-10-20 9:02 AM, Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> wrote:
3 >> On 20/10/13 13:47, Daniel Campbell wrote:
4 >>> Like I mentioned in a prior e-mail, the change didn't affect me when it
5 >>> was pushed, and doesn't affect me now. I did recently have to reinstall
6 >>> Gentoo, however (note, going from testing to stable isn't fun ;p), and
7 >>> noticed it when I found Gentoo ships with systemd-udev instead of
8 >>> eudev.
9 >
10 >> Yep, no plans on changing the default sys-fs/udev to anything else, no
11 >> reason to.
12 >
13 > To be clear - you are saying that the new default init system for a
14 > new gentoo install is systemd?
15
16 No, I'm saying the default /dev manager in Gentoo has been sys-fs/udev
17 and will be sys-fs/udev
20 > When did this happen? I thought that OpenRC was still the default?
21
22 It is.
25 >>> Perhaps the next time I need to install Gentoo, I'll find a way to get
26 >>> eudev on there before even the first proper boot and avoid the problem
27 >>> altogether.
28 >
29 >> It's true that sys-fs/eudev restored the *broken* rule_generator from
30 >> old sys-fs/udev, you can get it by USE="rule-generator".
31 >> But it's lot saner to keep using sys-fs/udev and just write custom rules
32 >> to rename interfaces based on MACs to like lan*, internet*
33 >> so all in all, currently, using sys-fs/eudev doesn't make sense unless
34 >> you are experimenting/developing for it.
35 >
36 > The problem with this is, what happens if (or maybe *when*?) the
37 > systemd maintainers make a change that then breaks udev for anything
38 > but systemd?
41 That's a bridge we will cross when there is a bridge to be crossed, but
42 from top of my head:
43 We will maintain a minimal patchset that reverts the offending code.
44
45 As in, that's nothing to be worried about before it happens.